We are seeking an MLS (or equivalent) student or recent graduate to gain experience in the operations and management of a special library and institutional archives.
Interns work in each section of the unit—Library, Digital Gallery, and Archives—to develop projects aimed at furthering the professional interests of the student while working to achieve unit strategic goals. This is a full-time, 12-month position.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform basic reference interviews and services. Become familiar with, and able to train others in, using Longwood Gardens' EOS International integrated library system (ILS), OCLC WorldCat, Agricola, and other relevant databases.
- Arrange and describe archival collections, develop finding aids, and make recommendations regarding storage, conservation and preservation treatment of archival materials
- Perform circulation maintenance routines, such as check-in/check-out, shelve books and compile usage statistics.
- Assist and train patrons in the use of computers and software, A/V equipment, and copier.
- Assist with Interlibrary Loan tasks as needed.
- Assist with digitization/scanning projects.
- Learn cataloging procedures and assist in cataloging materials (or object collections) as needed.
- Assist with project work involving digital imaging, the ILS, and the Archives.
- Perform various daily administrative and technical tasks.
- Participate in student activities and field trips as scheduled.
- Be pursuing or have recently completed a Masters of Science in Library Science (MLS) or related equivalent.
- Be able and willing to work independently.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to deal with people in a courteous, patient, and professional manner.
- Have physical ability to push fully-loaded book carts and handle heavy or oversize volumes. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Be willing to follow all of Longwood Gardens' policies and procedures.
- Have a valid driver's license.
- International applicants:
- Proof of proficiency in English is required from all applicants. A valid driver’s license written in English or an international driver's license is preferred.
This is a 12 month internship.