Volunteer Culture & Benefits
Our volunteers are valued members of the Longwood family.
We appreciate their generously sharing their time, energy and expertise in support of Longwood Gardens. Through their efforts, volunteers contribute to the beauty of the gardens, the success of our programs, and the enjoyment and experience of our guests.
If you are interested in becoming a Longwood Gardens volunteer, you should also know that:
- Volunteers lend a hand in almost all Longwood Gardens departments—and not everyone works with plants!
- Volunteers agree to contribute at least 50 hours of service yearly*
- You must be over 17 in order to volunteer
- Your will receive training specific to your assignment and appreciation for your efforts
- Volunteer opportunities are available year-round, both weekdays and weekends
- You’ll receive benefits such as free garden admission, discounts in our café and Garden Shop, and on Continuing Education Classes and performances
*Some assignments have additional service requirements
How You Can Help
- Greeting and providing information to our guests
- Answering questions, providing interpretation, and helping guests enjoy their Longwood experience
- Assisting our horticulturists indoors and out
- Engaging children and families in fun and educational activities
- Lending support to our Library, Archives and Digital Gallery
- Assisting departments such as Continuing Education and Plant Records with clerical tasks and data collection
There are many volunteer opportunities in other areas, including numerous self-managed volunteer teams that lend assistance behind the scenes and in the Gardens. Team projects include activities such as photography, phenology, birding, IPM monitoring, land stewardship, and special events.