Volunteer Culture & Benefits
Whether assisting a greenhouse team behind the scenes, or interacting with our guests as they enjoy the gardens, Longwood Gardens’ volunteers bring enthusiasm, expertise and dedication to their volunteer roles. Longwood appreciates the efforts of its volunteers and is grateful for the time, talent and energy so generously contributed in support of Longwood Gardens’ mission.
If you are interested in volunteering at Longwood Gardens, you should know that:
- Volunteers lend a hand in almost all Longwood Gardens departments—and not everyone works with plants!
- Volunteers agree to contribute at least 30 hours of service yearly*
- You must be over 17 in order to volunteer
- You will receive training specific to your assignment and appreciation for your efforts
- Volunteer opportunities are available year-round, both weekdays and weekends
- You’ll receive benefits such as free garden admission, discounts in our café and Garden Shop, and on Continuing Education Classes and performances
*Some assignments have additional service requirements
How you can help:
- Greeting and providing information to our guests
- Answering questions and helping our guests enjoy their Longwood experience
- Assisting our horticulturists indoors and out
- Engaging children and families in fun and educational activities
- Lending support to our Library, Archives and Digital Gallery
- Assisting departments such as Continuing Education and Plant Records with clerical tasks and data collection
There are many volunteer opportunities in other areas, including numerous self-managed volunteer teams that lend assistance behind the scenes and in the Gardens. Team projects include activities such as photography, phenology, birding, IPM monitoring, land stewardship, and special events.