You are here
Marketing & Communications
The Marketing and Communications Intern assists with the daily management and monitoring of Longwood Gardens’ social media platforms.
In this role, the intern engages with our fans online, answering questions, replying to comments, and liking, replying to, and sharing user generated content. This role requires the intern to work with staff throughout the Gardens to ensure an appropriate response to guest inquiries. The intern is also tasked with identifying high quality fans and influencers, as well as hashtags, trends, and social conversations in which Longwood should take part. The intern is responsible for scheduling posts on all platforms and performing general platform maintenance, and for serving as a backup and assistant to the Social Media Content Editor. In addition, the intern assists with website updates, email communications, and other marketing and communications projects.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the daily management and monitoring of Longwood Gardens’ social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Responsibilities will include scheduling and making posts, monitoring, and responding to inquiries.
- Supporting content development and deploying new tactics for social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Responsibilities include writing posts, sourcing photography, taking photographs when needed, developing video content, and developing new tactics and campaigns as part of the Communications Team.
- Post content to Longwood Gardens’ website using the Drupal CMS.
- Develop the monthly Member email newsletter. Responsibilities include identifying and writing stories, sourcing photography, and creating the emails in our email system, Emma.
- Develop content for seasonal brochures or other publications, including writing, photography, and/or video.
- Assist with other special projects to support the marketing, communications, and creative services teams.
- Write blog posts on select topics. Responsibilities may include researching the topic, interviewing staff members, and possibly taking photographs or developing video content.
- Enrolled or completed a bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or a related field.
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and creative team player.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills. The ability to come across as warm and sincere online and to embody Longwood’s brand in digital communications.
- Strong social media presence or skills.
- Keen eye for selecting photography and taking photographs.
- Knowledge of Photoshop a plus.
- Video storyboarding, filming and editing a plus.
- Willingness to work independently and some weekend work are required.