Skip to main content
About this Outdoor Garden
One of Longwood Gardens’ most photographed and much-loved areas, the Chimes Tower and Waterfall were built using stone unearthed during the Main Fountain Garden construction.
The Waterfall, along with the Eye of Water and Hillside Garden Flume, run from 9:00 am–5:45 pm daily mid-April through mid-October.
These popular Longwood attractions were completed in 1931. Water for the man-made cascade comes from a reservoir under the Eye of Water. Until 1956, the Tower housed 25 tubular chimes that played melodies from punched paper rolls. Electronic chimes were then used for several decades until a 62-cast-bell carillon was installed in the Tower in 2001.