Skip to main content
About this Outdoor Garden
Pierre S. du Pont purchased the property that was to become Longwood Gardens in order to save the historic trees planted in this Garden.
During the 1800s, twins Joshua and Samuel Peirce collected many native and exotic trees, which they planted in straight rows on this land east of their farmhouse. This area became known as Peirce’s Park toward the end of the 19th century. Mr. du Pont purchased the Peirce farm and arboretum in 1906 to save the trees from being cut for lumber. In 1927 he added the Sylvan Fountain to the east end of the park.