The Gardens will close at 6:00 pm on Saturday, August 7, for all but Fireworks & Fountains ticketholders. Last entry for both Members and timed ticketholders is 3:30 pm. Fireworks & Fountains Show tickets for Saturday are sold out.
In 2011, we opened our 10-acre solar field, generating more than 200 kilowatt-hours of power annually.
Reducing Longwood Gardens’ Carbon Footprint
Our institutional mindset has produced novel ideas and innovative solutions for reducing energy and resource consumption. In August 2010, in conjunction with an independent third party, Longwood Gardens installed a 10 Acre, 1.6 megawatt solar field. This produces approximately 30% of Longwood’s annual energy requirement. The remaining 70% of Longwood’s electricity requirements are satisfied by purchasing 100% green energy. Longwood is proactive in utilizing and evaluating state-of-the-art technologies to minimize energy usage in existing facilities and planned site additions.
Beauty and function. It’s a balance that we successfully achieve with our 10-acre solar field. Through careful planning and creativity, we have proven that solar fields can be installed in a way that is both aesthetically pleasing and effective.
We are engaging in several energy saving efforts to limit our overall consumption of electricity and other natural resources. Many of these efforts stem from a comprehensive energy audit that was conducted in 2010.
In addition to our floral gardens, Longwood maintains several areas dedicated to the growth of seasonal produce that is either sold or donated. These include the Idea Garden and a plot of land on the perimeter of the property that is managed by students in our Professional Horticulture Program.