The Lakes District, with its postcard-perfect scenery, is known to spark a distinct state of serenity. Open vistas, rolling green lawns, sparkling water, and splashing fountains recall a Victorian holiday from days gone by, reminding us of the joy of fresh air, a nice walk, and an exquisite view.
About This District
This area, which includes the Italian Water Garden and the Large and Small Lakes, reflects two of our founder Pierre S. du Pont’s passions: the beauty of water, and his delight in providing spaces for public enjoyment. Soon after he purchased the property in 1906 he began restorations to this area. The Large and Small Lakes provide open, spacious views, which serve as a welcome moment of decompression after leaving the more intimate pathways of Peirce’s Woods and Peirce’s Park. In 1925 Pierre embarked upon the construction of the Italian Water Garden, which added contrasting elements of formal design to the more naturalistic setting of the surrounding landscapes. In 2008, we added a new surprise for guests to enjoy–the Canopy Cathedral Treehouse.