The East Conservatory Plaza's open and welcoming design provides grand views of the Conservatory and a dynamic gathering space.
This inviting space is surrounded by five tiers of sweeping, grass-covered terraces that emerge like steps from the land. The innovative design of the lawn creates a sculptural clearing, allowing for dramatic views of the Topiary, other Gardens to the south, and the East Conservatory facade.
Opened in 2010, the East Conservatory Plaza features the first terraced lawn in the United States designed by landscape architect Kim Wilkie. An historic yew was integrated into the design. This tree is the Pennsylvania champion, measuring 33 feet high, with trunk of about 16 feet in girth. It was planted in its current location in 1930 as an already-mature specimen.