Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED, have work experience in horticulture, possess a valid driver’s license, and possess an interest in continued study and practice in the profession of horticulture.
All application materials must be submitted through our online system and include:
- Essay: Submit an essay (fewer than 500 words) answering the following questions:
- Why have you chosen horticulture as a career?
- Why have you applied for the Professional Horticulture program and how do you think the program will advance you personally and professionally?
- Résumé: Submit a summary of your work and educational experiences.
- Official Transcript(s): If you have been awarded an undergraduate or graduate degree, request an official college/university transcript from the degree-granting institution. Otherwise, request an official transcript from the respective institutions for all high school, college, and/or university courses. Transcripts should be mailed to you, then uploaded as a PDF into the system.
- Work and Academic References: Please provide two professional references including name, title, place of employment, address of employment, phone number, and email address.
Longwood Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity, equality, and inclusion strengthen our institution and the world around us.
The Professional Horticulture (PH) Selection Committee will consider all complete and submitted applications received by April 1, 2023. Interviews will take place in-person in late April, 2023. Candidates should be prepared to answer questions related to their experiences in horticulture and their vision for a future career in horticulture. Only 8-10 applicants will be offered admission into the program annually. If selected for admission into the program, candidates must pass a drug screening test to complete their admission. Professional Horticulture students are employees of Longwood Gardens, thus proof of citizenship and/or employment eligibility will be required before starting the Professional Horticulture program.