Explore careers in horticulture and journey behind the scenes at Longwood Gardens while connecting with others in an enriching environment.
The Longwood Teen Volunteer Program provides high school students an opportunity to become part of the Longwood Team. Teens will work alongside our expert horticulture staff throughout the Gardens to gain hands-on horticulture experience and develop leadership skills.
Interested in applying? Here’s what to know:
- The Teen Volunteer Program is open to students entering grades 9 through 12.
- You must have access to reliable transportation.
- All opportunities require walking, standing, kneeling, bending, reaching, and light lifting. Specific duties vary, depending on the area.
- Submit your application along with a letter of reference/recommendation (required for new, potential participants).
- Selected applicants will participate in the interview process. A limited number of Teens will be selected for participation in the program.
Teens may choose to work and learn in specific areas of interest or experience as many different Garden locations as possible. Tours, talks, and horticulture demonstrations are offered weekly. Most opportunities are outdoors and weather dependent.
Selected Teen Volunteers will:
- Attend the mandatory Teen Volunteer training on June 18, 2024.
- Volunteer at least one shift per week during the seven weeks of the program. Shifts are Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am–11:00 am. Some start times and shift durations may vary.
- Complete a total of 21 hours over the course of the program.
- Be reliable, punctual, and committed to the volunteer role.
School and Youth Programs
Applications open January 17, 2024.