You are here
The Society of Fellows supports the continued development of leaders in public horticulture through a member-run network comprised of alumni from both the Longwood Graduate Program and Longwood Fellows Program.
Society of Fellows Scholarship
The Longwood Society of Fellows is pleased to announce professional development scholarships available for former Fellows. These awards are available to supplement the costs associated with any of the following leadership-related professional development activities:
- Classes, apprenticeships, or consultant-led training
- Staff exchange
- Social Development: individual or institutional networking, collaboration
- Career coaching/resume building/job search help
- Academic coursework related to professional work
- Travel to locations with expertise of interest to the awardee
Scholarships will be awarded for amounts ranging from $500 to $3,000. Applications are accepted at any time and scholarships will be awarded three times per year to be used within 12-months of the award date. Application deadlines for award dates are listed below:
- Award date: July 1. Applications due: June 15
- Award date: October 1. Applications due: September 15
- Award date: March 1. Applications due: February 15
Application instructions will be available in the late spring. See below for details about what each submission must include.
Statement of Intention outlining why this professional development will be beneficial to you. This statement should also include:
- An outline of the specific training/career coaching/coursework for which you will use the scholarship
- In the case of coursework, limited seat workshops, or other similar situations, provide proof that you will be accepted to participate in that professional development
- A short statement on how you define leadership
Proposed budget for professional development opportunity. If it exceeds award amount, budget must specifically list other funding sources and amount of support from each.
Current Resume or CV
Two reference letters supporting your leadership capabilities and or need for the scholarship
One letter must be from home institution and if applicable, one letter must be from the target institution (i.e., Staff exchange)
Scholarships will be awarded based not only financial need. Consideration of how the leadership development opportunity will affect the professional objectives of the applicant will be a primary evaluation criterion. Please reach out to Aaron Steil at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Congratulations to our Society of Fellows Inductees
Kaslin has returned to Gardens by the Bay in Singapore, where she completed her 2-month field placement. She has assumed the Assistant Director of Operations position and is responsible for the project management of a new visitor's center, in addition to other duties.
Neil has returned to his position as Executive Director at the Vallarta Botanical Gardens in Jalisco, Mexico.
Patrick is the Director of Public Programs and Education at The Garden Conservancy in Garrison, New York.
Julia is the Director of Gardener Engagemnt at The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society.
“The more than 200 alumni of the Longwood Graduate Program and Longwood Fellows Program have become leaders in the public horticulture profession. These alumni form a global network of professional who are making a significant impact in the field.”
- Paul B. Redman, President and Chief Executive Officer of Longwood Gardens
- Karen Daubmann, Associate Vice President for Exhibitions and Public Engagement, The New York Botanical Garden
- Sara Helm-Wallace, Director of Public Gardens, Trustees
- Paul Meyer, F. Otto Haas Executive Director, Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania
- Aaron Steil, Assistant Director, Reiman Gardens and Lecturer, Dept. of Horticulture, Iowa State University
- Shannon Still, Director of Plant Conservation & Curator, UC Davis Arboretum & Public Garden
- Patrick MacRae, Director of Public Programs and Education, The Garden Conservancy
If you are an alumnus of the Longwood Graduate Program or Fellows Program and are not currently receiving e-mail updates regarding the SoF or if your contact information has changed, complete the form below.