The Triumph of Seeds: How Grains, Nuts, Kernels, Pulses, & Pips Conquered the Plant Kingdom and Shaped Human History
We were thrilled to announce The Triumph of Seeds: How Grains, Nuts, Kernels, Pulses & Pips Conquered the Plant Kingdom and Shaped Human History by award-winning author Thor Hanson as our Community Read selection.
Hanson’s warm and engaging writing led us to discover the power that seeds contain, their ability to endure, and the journeys they take. These amazing marvels of nature explode into extraordinary beauty both tiny and grand and, in turn, nourish and inspire human life.
We also chose Seedfolks as the Community Read book for middle grade readers. Written by Paul Fleischman, Seedfolks tells the story of how the simple act of a 9-year old girl planting lima bean seeds sparks 13 very different individuals from various ethnic backgrounds, cultures, and age levels to come together to create a community garden.
The Reason for a Flower
Our youngest readers engaged with The Reason for a Flower by author Ruth Heller. In this book about flowers, pollen, and seeds, Heller introduces young readers to parts of plants and their functions in her trademark rhythmic style.
The Triumph of Seeds
Seedfolks Discussion Questions & Activities
Activity Components to be printed out on card stock:
- Activity 1 Seed Packet Template
- Activity 2 Set A Study Sheets
- Activity 2 Set A Plant Match Game
- Activity 2 Set B Match Game Name to Seed Pix
- Activity 2 Set B Study Sheets
- Activity 2 Set C Bingo Card A
- Activity 2 Set C Bingo Card B
- Activity 2 Set C Bingo Blank Card
- Activity 2 Set C Bingo List of Plants
- Activity 2 Set C Bingo Clues