We have provided outstanding educational programs since 1957 when we began offering summer internships for college and university students, a program that continues today and has impacted over 1,500 students from over 80 institutions.
In 1967, we partnered with the University of Delaware to create the Longwood Graduate Program, awarding graduates an M.S. in Ornamental Horticulture. The Program has evolved twice in its history—in 1988, the degree changed to an M.S. in Public Horticulture Administration; and in 1998, the degree changed to an M.S. in Public Horticulture.
In 2017, the program underwent a complete transformation by altering its focus exclusively to building leadership capacity in public horticulture. Thus, the Fellows Program replaces the Graduate Program. The inaugural cohort of Fellows were inducted into the alumni group, the Society of Fellows, in June 2018.